- This event has passed.
ManKind | National Conference on male victims of domestic abuse
November 16 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pmFree
One in six-seven men in Britain will suffer from domestic abuse in their lifetime whilst one in every three domestic abuse victims are male.
There is a growing need to ensure men and their children receive male-victim friendly support and responses from organisations in the statutory, private and third sectors – at a local, regional and national level. This includes ensuring statutory, safeguarding and equality obligations are met. The new Domestic Abuse Act and Statutory Guidance applies to male victims too.
This is the tenth annual national conference on male victims of domestic abuse hosted by the charity. It will focus on:
- Latest academic research
- Hearing directly from two male survivors about their experiences
- The experience and process for setting up male refuges/safe houses and the experiences of the men within them
- More topics to come
In 2021, over 450 delegates attended and 99% would recommend the conference to others, 98% said the conference content were very satisfied (75%) and satisfied (23%). 95% said it would positively impact their work.
“Excellent conference, very well put together with a range of fantastic speakers and input”
The conference also meets the NICE Quality Standards on Domestic Abuse.
Who should attend
This is a CPD accredited conference aimed at professionals and practitioners who wish to find out how to support male victims or already work with domestic abuse male victims/survivors.
These roles include those working in community safety, public health, social services, domestic abuse, the legal system (police, solicitors, CPS, probation), adult/children safeguarding, public health, housing associations, health service, victim support, anti-social behaviour, men’s health & welfare, equality & diversity, voluntary/third sector, students, academics & researchers.
Those commissioning domestic abuse or similar services are very welcome too and this conference will help understand this key victim/survivor group.
The conference is CPD accredited (three points)
Speakers and programme
- Professor Ben Hine (Professor of Applied Psychology at the University of West London; Leader the Evidence-Based Domestic Abuse Research Network): Summary of the latest research on male victims
- Dr Elizabeth Bates (Senior Lecturer in Psychology, University of Cumbria and Chair of the Male Section of the British Psychological Society): Summary of the latest research on male victims
- Alex Atkinson (Head of Service at SafeNet): Setting up male refuges/safe houses and the experiences of the men within them
- Survivor Voice: Interviews with two fathers about their lived experience.
- More speakers to be announced
There is no cost to joining the conference but we do appreciate a voluntary donation which is completely discretionary. Thank you.
Register in advance for this meeting: Registration Link
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
9.30 start and 12.30 end
The online “doors” open at 9am
Timings of speakers to be confirmed, however, with the order is planned to be as above (see speakers and programme).
- ManKind Initiative
- 01823 334244
- View Organizer Website