This two-day expert witness masterclass will develop your understanding of courtroom procedure and case-law and will help you become a confident expert witness in court.
Day one will help you to gain a clearer understanding of the role of an expert witness, the Civil Procedure Rules, Practice Directions pertaining to expert witnesses, issues of liability, and the selection and role of a single joint expert.
Day two will concentrate on courtroom procedure and how to prepare for court. You will also focus on common pitfalls when giving evidence using scenarios designed to prepare you for the realities of court-room cross-examination.
Dr Anton van Dellen originally qualified as a Medical Doctor and worked as a Registrar in Neurosurgery, before retraining in law at Trinity College, Cambridge. He now works as a Barrister at Goldsmith Chambers in London, where he frequently appears before the High Court and Court of Appeal, and also represents registrants subject to GMC and NMC proceeding
- Understanding civil procedure rules governing expert witnesses
- Understanding the case-law governing expert witness liability for negligence
- Understanding data protection and confidentiality as related to expert witnesses
- How to structure an expert report
- How the contents of the report should assist the court
- Understanding courtroom procedure
- How to prepare for a courtroom appearance
- How to spot and cope with common cross-examination pitfalls