National Occupational Standards (NOS) are statements of the standards of performance individuals must achieve when carrying out functions in the workplace, together with specifications of the underpinning knowledge and understanding.
- NOS are National because they can be used in every part of the UK where the functions are carried out.
- NOS are Occupational because they describe the performance required of an individual when carrying out functions in the workplace, i.e. in their occupation (as a plumber, police officer, production engineer etc).
- NOS are Standards because they are statements of effective performance which have been agreed by a representative sample of employers and other key stakeholders and approved by the UK NOS Panel.
UKAFN have clustered the National Occupational Standards in one handy place for members. The following National Occupational Standards have been added to the Knowledgebase within the members’ area;
- Carry out comprehensive assessments of individuals’ health and well-being in a custodial setting
- Obtain valid consent for healthcare interventions in a custodial setting
- Provide forensic examination and interpretation of injuries
- Provide pastoral support to individuals in custodial environments
- Screen individuals’ health and well-being on reception into custodial setting
- Support individuals at risk of and experiencing difficulties in a custodial environment